Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Being an Introvert in a Web 2.0 World

I am an introvert. This doesn't mean I am a shy person; I am far from being shy. No, an introvert is someone who recharges their emotional batteries by spending some quality alone time. As an introvert, I think and mentally rehearse before I speak and I develop deep relationships over time.

That is all changing with Web 2.0 and the much hyped "social media" or social networking websites. In order to compete and succeed in this new age, I must learn how to rapidly meet similar professionals, evaluate their relevance in my life and make a connection. Without these links, I lose the necessary competitive edge they provide. Research shows traditional job sites are the least effective way to find a job. The majority of jobs are now garnered through personal networking.

So, how do I survive? In what ways do I need to reinvent myself? What ways can remain true to my old self? Is there hope for a fringe employee...at the tail end of the boomer generation but not bearing any of the trademarks of either generation (boomer or gen-x).

One thing is for sure, I cannot ignore the changes that are happening if I want to stay ahead of the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment