Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Becoming a Writer

WARNING: This post consists of random musings and lacks any cohesive opinion or commentary.

OK, so I want to be a professional writer.

What is holding me back? Why don't I just start writing and pitching my work?

After some deep soul searching here is my answer: I'm not a risk taker. I avoid risks because I am highly competitive and I hate to lose. But it is more than just losing; I am afraid of failing. To me, failure and losing are synonymous. To lose is to fail and to fail is to lose...and I loathe losing!

So why do I think I am going to fail?

Because I am not, in my perception, the typical writer. I am not driven to write, I want to write. I have not been compelled to write and be published all my life like some of the more famous writers have been. Maybe it is more of a dream than a desire for me. Something that does not have enough emotional energy for me to surge past the fear of failure.

Or, maybe it is because I am generally lazy and lack the requisite discipline to drive the writing behavior forward and being atypical of other writers is a convenient excuse.

Regardless of winning or losing in my attempt at professional writing, I am following the advise of many professional writers and budding professionals; I am writing. Thus the ultimate purpose of this blog.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment