Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Risks of Web 2.0

After posting my last blog, I began thinking about the risks associated with putting my opinion out there for the world to see. Did I put too much out there? Did I say too much and who is going to see it? What will they think about what I just posted? Whether I like it or not, I will be judged about what I said in my posting. Here is the real kicker...I won't have the opportunity to defend my opinion or reputation with the person judging me. I would be indicted, judged and convicted without the benefit of a defense. Am I comfortable with that??

There are no hard and fast rules about Web 2.0 etiquette yet. What should be acceptable and what is taboo ranges widely with each audience, person, and perhaps each generation. I am discovering younger generations are more willing to share what I consider deeply personal information with the rest of the world. Why is that? Is it because the "cyberworld" is something they grew up with and they do not view as reality? (What happens in cyberspace stays in cyberspace.) Or is it because they have become immune (or attracted) to Internet voyeurism? Or, perhaps, it is the folly of youth, blissfully unaware of the repercussions and unintended consequences of providing too much information to the general public.

While I don't have any followers currently, I am working to land a job. This means anyone doing a simple search of my name will pull this blog up and they will see every comment and opinion I post...and the judging will begin. Unfortunately, the viewer will most likely come to the erroneous conclusion that I am someone who shares this same type of comments and opinion within the workplace and I would become a liability they don't need or want. What they won't hear is that I am a highly professional employee who understands what is appropriate to discuss in the workplace and that I would not be an HR risk.

Here is a brief list of considerations I plan to follow on all future postings:
  1. Be prepared to be judged on the content, spelling, and grammar of your message and be willing to accept the consequences of that judgment.
  2. All control of the content is lost forever when the send or submit button is pressed.
  3. Whatever is posted or sent on email has the chance of becoming part of the permanent record.
  4. If you wouldn't say it in front of someone or to someone, don't post it on the web.
  5. Remember the golden rule.
I would be interested in learning from others what they consider to be appropriate to post and what rules they follow in deciding what to publish to the world.

2 comments:

  1. I think your rules are good, but you can edit or delete blog posts as well as comments on your blog (I would be very hesitant to delete other peoples' comments though. That is considered rude, unless the person is a spammer). Emails are another matter; they are completely out of your hands.

    I haven't been doing this long, but I have found that online writers generally don't like to post any comments that could be seen as negative. This means that, generally, if they don't like or enjoy a post, they simply don't comment. And sometimes I suspect that the praise is a bit exaggerated. Generally only trolls leave negative comments, but on the rare occasion one comes along, they can simply be ignored. I only comment on blogs or posts that I enjoy.

    As for what is appropriate to post, that is entirely up to the writer. But I believe, as a general rule, if a writer does not expose himself to some degree (a raw nerve, a true emotion, a difficult and perhaps controversial thought), then no one will care. And why should they? You have wasted their time.

    Hope I haven't blathered on too much. See what an excellent piece on milking cows can make me do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Mark. While I haven't milked for over 30 years, my memory reminds me it was a cathartic activity! Maybe I need to go find a small local dairy for some therapy!

    ReplyDelete